Crappie fishing

The place for fishermen (and women) to gather and BS
RB
Admin Team

Crappie fishing

Post by RB » December 3rd, 2010, 9:46 am

I have been reading some crappie reports on crappie.com about Truman and LOZ where guys are catching some impressive numbers of crappie. Have any of you guys been going since the gun seasons are winding down or are you done for the year. Also, if anybody knows of a good heated crappie dock at LOZ let me know. Looking for a weekend getaway to catch some specks.

Warmouth
2012 Member of the Year

Re: Crappie fishing

Post by Warmouth » December 3rd, 2010, 10:34 am

I haven't winter fished in 5 yrs or so, but my wifes family does a lot. They all live within 2-3 miles of Truman, are retired, and love winter fishing for crappies.

They generally use a two jig set up, and fish bluffs 15-35' deep. Once you find the fish, there are enough of them schooled up to keep you busy.

What I find funny about it, is that on some days in February there might be 10 boats total on that arm of the lake, and 7 of them will be on top of each other fighting for the same honey hole.
The Doctor said I should drink more whiskey. Also, I'm calling myself 'The Doctor' now.

RB
Admin Team

Re: Crappie fishing

Post by RB » December 3rd, 2010, 1:28 pm

WM, it's no different in the summer. I like to fish the bluffs on the Osage arm and if I set up on a spot next thing you know there are 7 or 8 boats within 100 yds of me. What's worse is the guys who glass the lake looking for boats that are catching whites and then run right up on you when they see you hauling one in. Last summer i got into a white/hybrid surface frenzy and was all alone in that stretch of water. Within 5 minutes I had three boats I could have casted into with my jig. Once they got there the fish quit and moved on, so did the other boats. I stayed in the area and about 15 minutes later saw them surface again and finished out my limit. Never understood why they can't find their own fish.