Fishing this weekend

The place for fishermen (and women) to gather and BS
RB
Admin Team

Fishing this weekend

Post by RB » April 12th, 2012, 1:17 pm

If it doesn't rain too much I am going to fish the new lake at our place this weekend. The other night at sunset the entire surface was rippled with the fish sipping bugs off the surface. I will throw some flies with the fly rod and see if I get any takers.

Warmouth
2012 Member of the Year

Re: Fishing this weekend

Post by Warmouth » April 13th, 2012, 9:34 am

Do you have any idea what it is stocked with?

Good luck either way. I'll be happy if I can make it to Truman in the next week or so.
The Doctor said I should drink more whiskey. Also, I'm calling myself 'The Doctor' now.

RB
Admin Team

Post by RB » April 16th, 2012, 9:36 am

Dave, the lake is stocked with bluegill, bass and channel cats. The first stocking was ten years ago and the cats have been restocked three times since. Biggest one to come out was an 11 pound channel. The gills are huge because they have never kept any. It was pretty muddy and rainy over the weekend so we did not fish just rode around on the ranger.

Tigerhaze
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Tigerhaze » April 24th, 2012, 1:55 pm

I fished a tributary to Truman Lake last Saturday evening and caught a half dozen channel cat, including three above 5 pounds. The larger cats were females with eggs.

A couple weeks ago I fished another tributary to Truman and caught several large whites and walleyes.
"Control Stupidity- Spay or Neuter Your Politician"

RB
Admin Team

Post by RB » April 24th, 2012, 4:17 pm

No pictures? Sounds like a good place.

Tigerhaze
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Tigerhaze » April 25th, 2012, 11:31 am

Have photos but haven't had time to download them- hard enough for me to find time to log on and post :D

RB
Admin Team

Post by RB » May 14th, 2012, 9:31 am

Had three of the grandkids out this weekend from Friday to Sunday. Took them fishing Friday and Saturday evening. I have never baited hooks so fast in my life. Went through two pretty full cans of worms. They aren't real fast on the hook set so the little bait snatchers clean them out a lot. It was still a ton of fun and they caught a few that could have been dinner.

Tigerhaze
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Tigerhaze » May 14th, 2012, 11:02 am

Went to the Truman Lake area again this weekend- channel cats are still biting hard.

RB
Admin Team

Post by RB » May 21st, 2012, 12:37 pm

Had a buddy and his 9 year old son camp at our lake over the weekend. They caught some really nice bluegill. They have not moved on the beds yet but the water is getting warmer. It's amazing how a 9 year old kid can jump in a freezing azz cold lake and think its fun. We'll be stocking next saturday. Just added a bunch of bass to the list.

Tigerhaze
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Tigerhaze » May 21st, 2012, 12:42 pm

Glad your friends had fun....it's satisfying to know that your own lake produces that much enjoyment for others.

I went fishing yesterday on a stream in NE MO- caught several types of fish on spinners and crankbaits including largemouth, smallmouth, and gar. Also saw others catch some decent channel cats before the heavy storms hit.

RB
Admin Team

Post by RB » May 21st, 2012, 2:26 pm

TH, had some of the grandkids out last weekend and took them Friday and Saturday. Like I said above it was a non stop baiting party for the paw paw. It is neat to see friends and family catch fish in you lake. This weekend the blue gill population will be an endangered species with the older boys coming out.