Clearwater Lake

The place for fishermen (and women) to gather and BS
RB
Admin Team

Clearwater Lake

Post by RB » May 31st, 2012, 11:02 am

Going to be on Clearwater lake in July and have not fished it very much. Do any of you have any experience on that lake, other than drinkin, that would help with fishing? We'll go after anything but the few times we have been there have not had much luck.

JimDog
2014 Member of the Year

Re: Clearwater Lake

Post by JimDog » May 31st, 2012, 4:41 pm

I've got some advice for ya - pick a different lake.

I had a buddy that lived down that way, and we used to hit clearwater two or three times a year for several years in a row - this was about 20 years ago. We NEVER did any good down there. We kept going thinking that it had to get better, but it never did. I remember a number of trips where we got skunked outright.

I do recall one time we got into the crappie - we each boated several dozen over the course of a weekend, but not a one of them was over 6 inches. That lake is jinxed. I am not a huge fan of Wappapello, either, but if I was heading down that way, I would fish Wappapello before I fished clearwater. And I'd wade the black river or the St. Francois before I fished Wappapello. Clearwater is a beautiful lake, but all the fish have lockjaw.
A clear conscience is the sign of a bad memory.

RB
Admin Team

Post by RB » June 1st, 2012, 8:19 am

Jim, thanks for the encouraging report. The kids are now used to our lake where they catch some kind of fish on every cast. Unfortunately one other guy I know said about the same thing you did. If they could catch non stop 6" crappie that would be fine and if there is no size limit they would want them on the grill. Hopefully when we go I'll be able to report back some success.

Tigerhaze
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Tigerhaze » June 4th, 2012, 6:24 pm

Here is the official fishing prospects for Clearwater Lake this year from the MDC website (snicker, snicker):
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Clearwater Lake (Southeast Region)
Information: (573) 290-5730

Driving directions: Five miles west of Piedmont on Route HH. Due to high lake levels, we were not able to conduct the spring 2011 Clearwater Lake fish population survey. However, anglers reported that white crappie fishing in the fall of 2011 was some of the best fishing they ever experienced. Ten inch crappie were abundant. White crappie fishing will continue to be good at Clearwater Lake, with the majority of fish greater than 9". Likewise, largemouth bass angling should be excellent. For the past ten years, 30 percent of the largemouth bass collected during our spring surveys have been greater-than-or-equal-to 15". Clearwater Lake has no size limit for black bass.

Clearwater Lake supports a good white bass population. In April and early May, white bass migrate up the Black River to spawn; the best fishing is upstream of Webb Creek Marina. White bass of 1-3 pounds are common.

Channel catfish are common, throughout the lake. Flathead catfish are also present in the lake in low numbers.

Each fall, Corps of Engineers and Missouri Department of Conservation staffs construct several large, hardwood brush piles in the lake. These brush piles always hold good numbers of bass and crappie. Maps showing the brush pile locations can be obtained by calling the number above.
"Control Stupidity- Spay or Neuter Your Politician"