Ranger (Baum's Blue Bonnie) Oct. 5, 2003-Feb. 25, 2014

Information about hunting small game in Missouri
Rafe Hollister
Former MOTY

Ranger (Baum's Blue Bonnie) Oct. 5, 2003-Feb. 25, 2014

Post by Rafe Hollister » February 25th, 2014, 4:59 pm

She had breast cancer and it had spread to the bladder and/or uterus. We had her put down today at 16:12.

Last year at her regular vet appointment the vet noticed a lump and didn't think much of it. She told us to let them know if it had a rapid growth, but it was probably benign and we should have it cut out if it starts to bother her. Over the last couple months it grew very rapidly. I figured it would either be cut out or it was terminal. So on Feb. 12 I took her to her favorite CA for the last rabbit hunt of the season. She ran as well as she ever had in her life. Then on Feb. 21 she had an appt. scheduled and I was dreading what the vet would say. The night before, that tumor ruptured through her skin and I was sure then that it was the end. The vet confirmed that it was certainly a rapidly-growing mammary carcinoma and, due to the blood in her urine, it was up inside her, also.

Today was the day we decided on. She was treated like royalty all weekend and Monday and today and was allowed to eat anything she wanted. She remained her old, sweet self right up to the end.

I ain't ashamed to admit that I sobbed like a little girl and pretty much have been ever since Friday. Garner Dean was in the room, also, and he cried hard. This was a rough day. I've never had to put down a dog, and this is one that has been by my side for her entire life. I'm having some of her ashes put into a shotgun shell and will carry it with me in the field for as long as I'm able to hunt so she can stay beside me for decades to come.

I wanted pups out of her, but that didn't happen. I wanted at least 12 years out of her, but that didn't happen. Instead, I got a helluva good hunting dog with the sweetest disposition you could ever hope for. That ain't such a bad deal.
"I'll tell you one thing about women, they don't give a damn about things on the side of the road."
- Tim Wilson

SAMCRO
2018 Member of the Year

Re: Ranger (Baum's Blue Bonnie) Oct. 5, 2003-Feb. 25, 2014

Post by SAMCRO » March 7th, 2014, 11:17 am

What a bunch of pricks, not even bothering to respond. Rafe, I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your dog. That sucks.
All you thugs and ugly mugs dealing drugs and making noise,
You can kill each other all you want but if you touch my little boys,
You begging for this bullet will be the last thing that you say
before I let my dark side come out to play

Rafe Hollister
Former MOTY

Post by Rafe Hollister » March 16th, 2014, 10:10 am

Thanks, CRO. She was the perfect dog.
"I'll tell you one thing about women, they don't give a damn about things on the side of the road."
- Tim Wilson

RB
Admin Team

Post by RB » March 24th, 2014, 3:24 pm

Just saw this post Rafe. Sorry to hear about your loss. We had to put our lab down last year at this time and we both did the same thing you did. They are part of the family. we are getting a new beagle pup in three weeks and are very excited about the new addition to the family. our old beagle will have a buddy again. It is never easy to put one down.