Youth season

DON'T MISS THE TIP OF THE WEEK BY THE POISON SNAKE. ALSO, post your deer hunting and deer camp stories here.
Limbshot
2016 MEMBER OF THE YEAR

Youth season

Post by Limbshot » October 28th, 2014, 8:21 am

Well the youth season is upon us, and most of you, yep probably all three of you know, that this is probably my favorite weekend of the year. This will be the final youth escapade for my oldest, which is hard to imagine. Hoping both of my killers can tag out on something decent this weekend. The farm has been almost completely untouched with the exception of one stand, so things should be pretty interesting. Weather looks promising as well. I guess we will see what happens!!! Good luck to anyone else hosting a youth this weekend. I know RB has one coming in. Anybody else???
Proud staffer for Bust-a-Buck scent products and U-Slide Bow Holder.
http://www.bustabuckdeerlure.com/
http://u-slide.com/

PoisonSnake
2015 MEMBER OF THE YEAR

Re: Youth season

Post by PoisonSnake » October 29th, 2014, 11:17 am

I'm taking myself. Caitlyn is still a bit small to carry a gun. I do plan to take Morgyn squirrel hunting tomorrow afternoon though. Good luck.
Live the American dream? Baby I am the American dream.

Limbshot
2016 MEMBER OF THE YEAR

Post by Limbshot » October 30th, 2014, 8:15 am

Thanks man! Forecast looks pretty amazing. Deer should be blowing up. Good luck with the squirrels!!!

RB
Admin Team

Post by RB » November 3rd, 2014, 8:08 am

Youth season for our young hunter was a semi success. He had a shot at a nice 8 pt on Saturday morning and while we thought he hit him at first we later determined he missed. He and his dad had stopped at the house on their way to the other side of the farm. As they went through a thick draw between the hay fields they saw the buck just in the hay field. They set up quick and probably rushed the shot. He was thrilled to shoot at that deer and the week before during target practice he did great but I guess the nerves got to him. He's only 12 so he has a few years left. I remember telling him three years ago when he popped one first thing Saturday that it always isn't that easy and now he knows what that means. He is hooked on hunting though and someday will join us here for rifle season.

How did you youth's do?

JimDog
2014 Member of the Year

Post by JimDog » November 3rd, 2014, 9:38 am

My son, Sam, connected Saturday morning on his first buck ever. We set up a ground blind overlooking a cut bean field that bordered a creek. There was a tree line to our left and a tree line to our left that descended into the bean field. Behind us was about 30 acres of crp ground. We were facing the bean field - specifically alonng the creek bottom where there was an active scrape line, but he also had good shots into either of the tree lines.

At daybreak the does started moving - mainly along the creek just as I had anticipated. He was tempted to shoot on a couple of occasions, but really wanted a buck. About thirty minutes into the hunt I decided to break out the antlers and gave them a rattle. I set them down and got out the binocs and started glassing the creek - nothing. I looked behind me through the side window (the back window was closed) and about 75 yards behind us there was a buck. He had come out of the crp and was surveying to see where the rattling had come from.

I calmly turned to Sam and said "Sam - there is a buck right behind us." As quietly as possible, I started unziping the back window. Each tooth in the zipper seemed like a .22 going off. I thought for sure we'd spook him. But he stayed in the same spot, staring intently down into the bottom. I opened up about an 8" gap in the window and told him to peek through to take a look. He peeks through just as the buck shakes his whole body like a dog that just came out of the water - it was shaking off the frost from the switchgrass in the crp field. The sun was just coming up and it was one of the coolest things I have ever witnessed. The sun sparkled off the frost. Sam stared over at me and his eyes lit up.

I asked him if he could get the barrel of the rifle through the slit in the window. He nodded, but there was nothign to rest the rifle on. I had a improvides shooting rest set up for the shot out the front, but there was no way we were going to move it behind us without making a racket, so I told him to rest the rifle on my shoulder. He poked the barrel throught the slit, rested the rifle on my sholder. I stuck a finger in my ear, and told him to shoot if he had a good shot. He inhaled, then BOOM. He immediately said "I got him!"

I could not see anything - I was staring right into a wall of the blind, but I looked out after the shot to see the deer take off into the crp grass. I just caught a glimpse of his rack, but I did not get to see how the deer reacted or what it did after the shot.

We emerged from the blind, and walked over to where the deer was standing to look for some blood. We are both looking on the ground and not seeing any blood, and I am starting to think that he missed, when same looked at me and said "Dad - there is blood on your boot.' Sure enough there was a drop of blood on my boot. Then we noticed more blood, and started tracking it and it became heavier and heavier. We tracked it about 100 yards and found it piled up in the grass.

It was truly one of my most memorable hunts ever, and I am sure it is one Sam will remember for the rest of his life. We were staying at a duck hunting lodge that some friends of mine own, and we took it back to the lodge and everyone was high fiving and congratulating him like he had just won the super bowl. He had his chest puffed out - it really was a great experience for both of us.

He's already informed me that he wants a bow for Christmas...
sam-buck.jpg
sam-buck.jpg (1.58 MiB) Viewed 2213 times
A clear conscience is the sign of a bad memory.

RB
Admin Team

Post by RB » November 3rd, 2014, 9:51 am

Great story and deer for Sam. Congrats to him. looks like you did a good job getting him into hunting. Way to go Jim and Sam.

Limbshot
2016 MEMBER OF THE YEAR

Post by Limbshot » November 3rd, 2014, 10:45 am

That is absolutely fantastic JD!!! Great job in every aspect of that hunt and a HUGE congrats to Sam!!! You only get one first, and sharing it with you is indeed something he will never forget. That's a dang nice deer for his first buck!!! Great story. Thank you for sharing it with us!!!