Coyote bait...........

Information about hunting predators in Missouri
coyotewhacker
2018 Member of the Year

Coyote bait...........

Post by coyotewhacker » December 25th, 2004, 5:59 pm

Christmas day was going extremely well out here in the country until I looked out the front window and saw a pair of fat, fuzzy little mixed breed puppies that some city slicker dropped off somewhere nearby. They were confused, hungry and terrified. The wife said we could take them to the local no-kill shelter first thing tomorrow or Monday, but in the meantime they could stay in the garage and have shelter from the extreme cold, plus food and water. She fed them each a healthy size bowl of dry dog food from our own dog's supply, which they promptly inhaled. In the meantime I was on the other side of the house washing down one of the vehicles with a high pressure sprayer. The noise from the 5hp gas engine must have scared them, because they disappeared. In about three hours, they will become Christmas dinner for the first pack of coytotes that comes through the woods. Better that I should have gone ahead and shot them, ending their short lives quickly than what they are going to face tonight. If I ever catch one of these low lifes from town who come out and drop off their unwanted pets, I will do my best to see to it that they experience just a little of what their animals go through. It's a nine mile walk from here to town, no matter which road you take.
Being fellow human beings, they deserve a quarter mile head start on foot before I start after them.
We're on a mission from God.
Jake & Elwood Blue

deerslayer
2018 Member of the Year

Re: Coyote bait...........

Post by deerslayer » December 25th, 2004, 10:15 pm

I wouldn't even give them a head start because they cant be human beings
Respect Everyone Fear NOone

coyotewhacker
2018 Member of the Year

Post by coyotewhacker » December 25th, 2004, 10:20 pm

Perhaps not, but I got a real fast Polaris that stays full of fuel and it has a great rifle toter on the front rack.
I was hoping those pups might wander back, but it's been dark for a couple of hours. If they didn't take shelter in a barn or outbuilding, it's going to be a sad ending for them tonight.
Jake & Elwood Blue

coyotewhacker
2018 Member of the Year

Post by coyotewhacker » December 26th, 2004, 2:42 pm

Good news...I guess. The little critters showed up at the front door about noon, looking for a handout. I caught one by just picking it up and carried it to a large dog airline cage that we keep in the basement. The litter mate ran away, but came back about 15 minutes later and started Imageg a ruckus by the front door. I had pre-positioned a big fish landing net and was able to scoop the little critter up with no damage to pup or net. Both are now safe in the travel crate with a warm place to sleep tonight, plus food and water. Tomorrow they go to the county no kill shelter. I am guessing that new walleye rod at Bass Pro that I wanted will somehow end up being a contribution to the shelter for the upkeep of the two pups. Such is life in the country.
Jake & Elwood Blue

Richard
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Richard » December 26th, 2004, 10:01 pm

My mom and dad had a black lab female get dropped off in front of their house one year. She turned out to be the best dog they ever had. Think of it like this, you might make a child happy by providing him or her with a pup that might turn out to be their best friend.
Live life as it were your last

coyotewhacker
2018 Member of the Year

Post by coyotewhacker » December 26th, 2004, 10:52 pm

That's why they are going to the shelter instead of one of the other options. These are very young, cute, fuzzy fat pups and will probably get adopted pretty soon. If they were older, it might not work out as well. We have two dogs and two cats already, so we can't take them on. The younger of the two cats showed up last year during archery deer season, and I was walking back from my stand with a cocked and loaded crossbow in hand when she walked out on our sidewalk. Turns out she was too small and scrawny to make a decent target, and besides, those concrete sidewalks are hell on broadheads, so she got to stay. I don't even want to know what the vet bill was to get her spayed, all her shots and front claws removed for the sake of the furniture.
Now she's worth too much to shoot her.
Jake & Elwood Blue

CuppedAndCommitted
2018 Member of the Year

Post by CuppedAndCommitted » December 27th, 2004, 9:51 am

We have about 10 acres of woods behind our house and then behind that is a light industrial park. We get a number of critters that get dropped off back there by pet owners. It is very sad because the majority of them get put down. I like to get ahold of some of those peole and put them down instead. I'm sure it would better the gene pool of the county.
McLintock, great party, but no whiskey. We go home.

Duck Me Runnin
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Duck Me Runnin » December 27th, 2004, 3:11 pm

Coyotewhacker,you're a good dude. Image

I've been through that myself , and feel the same way. I'm sure I would have gotten an up close and personal look at the local jail had I caught the spineless bastges that dumped critters by one of my previous residences.

I don't have to meet the two pups,or the slimeballs that dumped them to know which one I'd rather be around for a day.

Let the pups find a new home,let the yotes eat lead. Image
Why did Kamikaze pilots wear helmets ?

Rafe Hollister
Former MOTY

Post by Rafe Hollister » December 27th, 2004, 3:17 pm

For the first time ever, we took in a stray this fall. Someone dumped off 3 or 4 tiny baby kittens near the house. A few got ran over, but one stayed around our house for a few days. We fed her and she has grown and she & the beagle get along pretty well. For a cat, she's not bad. We let her in the house every so-often and she has never crapped on the carpet or scratched the furniture.

BTW, we took advantage of a program through the Humane Society where the animals can get fixed free of charge, if it is a stray that you've adopted. You may seriously look into this the next time any of you take in a stray. It saved us about $150.
"I'll tell you one thing about women, they don't give a damn about things on the side of the road."
- Tim Wilson

coyotewhacker
2018 Member of the Year

Post by coyotewhacker » December 27th, 2004, 4:03 pm

The ol' lady took both pups in to the shelter this morning. It is full right now, so she went on to her Curves exercise class. One of the other gals saw the pair and immediately took one. The vet confirmed that these are 7 week old border collie pups. My wife and this lady each dropped a bundle on "puppy packages", and now each of the pups has a brand new home....need I mention where the other one now lives....as I type this, I hear Housfrau in the living room cooing at this pup like I never got coo'ed at....story of my life!
Jake & Elwood Blue

Duck Me Runnin
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Duck Me Runnin » December 28th, 2004, 9:18 am

Image Image

CW,if that's the worst thing that happens to you this week,you're crappin' in tall cotton. Image

I'm glad the pup got a good home. Image
Why did Kamikaze pilots wear helmets ?

coyotewhacker
2018 Member of the Year

Post by coyotewhacker » December 28th, 2004, 11:02 am

Yeah, the pup is kinda cute. Tomorrow is the big walleye get together downn on Bull Shoals. That opens up all sorts of possibilities for total disaster....then there's the story of the LSU coach taking the job as Miami Dolphins coach less than a week before LSU plays a tough Iowa team in the Capital One Bowl...could be worse.
Jake & Elwood Blue