Political correctness coming to a river near you....

Discussion about politicks
Outdoorsfool
2018 Member of the Year

Political correctness coming to a river near you....

Post by Outdoorsfool » May 21st, 2007, 3:38 pm

I believe we had a discussion last year about changes being made in the policing of Missouri's canoe rivers. I tend to avoid the more heavily traveled rivers during the summer months, not necessarily because of the behavior and such but because of the crowds. Floating amongst 1000 + people is just not my idea of a float trip. However, with that said, I'm puzzled about the implementation of rules making legal items illegal within the national park system. How do you make such things as a funnel and tubing (beer bong), coolers that are "too big" or jello shots "illegal" within the national park service, to the extent those things can be confiscated and/or offenders ticketed? Then there is folks like Alan Peters, of River's Edge Resort, that wants to ban "irritating" practices....
Peters suggested a ban on another irritating practice, smacking a flat paddle on the surface of the water so it makes a sound like a rifle shot.
Helll, I find 1000 people on the river "irritating", but I bet he wouldn't advocate for a limit on the number of canoes he can launch. Image

Here's a link to the story in the St. Louis paper, if you're interested. Rangers buckling down
Politicians are like shoemakers who make pretty shoeboxes but forget to make the shoes.

Big John
2018 Member of the Year

Re: Political correctness coming to a river near you....

Post by Big John » May 22nd, 2007, 11:06 am

I am in full agreement with you, there should be no laws regarding canoes, tubes, or paddles they should all be considered flotsam.

LadyAngler
<font color="#FF0000"><b>2008 Member of the YEAR</

Post by LadyAngler » May 22nd, 2007, 11:10 am

Fool~ I'm not sure how long it has been since you have floated, but there are probably need for some restrictions. It is growing further and further from a family event and becoming a drunken brawl. I'm not saying that fun shouldn't be had, but some people get outta control. Perhaps that is the issue.

People spraying random families with freezing azz river water as they go by. That is ridiculous. Now... it's mostly just in bad taste. And you know with my mouth... a few choice words handles the situation, but it is probably keeping some people from going out and enjoying the outdoors.

But really, if they limit alcohol it'll directly affect how many flashing titties I'll see on the river. And that makes me sad.
Anything you can do, I can do better.

Outdoorsfool
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Outdoorsfool » May 22nd, 2007, 11:52 am

LA - I floated about 3 weeks ago...last Saturday in April. I am in complete agreement with you that some rivers are completely out of hand during the summer months. I do not float the more notorious rivers during the summer just because of the number of people and the bullchit that goes on...and I would never dream of taking my son on some of those rivers during the summer months for the same reason. However, rudeness and general lack of respect is rampant in today's society...you can't legislate morality.

I vote Republican 99% of the time but tend to be anti-government in a lot of ways. I do not believe we need to be enacting laws for everything that somebody finds offensive. I'm offended by intrusive government. I'm also concerned about the NPS trying to make legal items illegal...that is govt./big brother gone too far. If it isn't illegal, it should not be illegal on the water simply because a govt. agency says it is so.

I think having outfitters restrict cooler size, which is well within their rights to do if you want to float with them, having high visibility of LEO on the water, and writing tickets for those things that are truly illegal on the books (drugs, nudity, etc.), would go a long ways in curbing some of the BS that goes on. But trying to "outlaw" legal items like jello shots, beer bongs, oversized coolers, etc. is too much big brother for me. If someone has beads, they will be watched to make sure they don't "solicit". Since when is saying "show me your titties" illegal? Image What if a dude is just twirling the beads overhead, is that "soliciting"? What happened to free speech?

How/why does the NPS get to say a 48 quart cooler is "legal" but a 52 is not? How/why does the NPS say beer and hard liquor are "legal", but kegs and jello shots are not?

I am a little torn on the subject of nudity as I like naked boobies, etc. Image , as much as the next guy....regardless of PS's delusions...but I have seen it get out of hand too. A couple engaged in oral sex on a gravel bar is NOT a spectator sport. Image
Politicians are like shoemakers who make pretty shoeboxes but forget to make the shoes.

Triton X2
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Triton X2 » May 22nd, 2007, 12:02 pm

ODF, I like to keep em in hand.
That's funny you don't look Druish.

PoisonSnake
2015 MEMBER OF THE YEAR

Post by PoisonSnake » May 22nd, 2007, 12:13 pm

All this talk about titties is making me thirsty.
Live the American dream? Baby I am the American dream.

Tigerhaze
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Tigerhaze » May 22nd, 2007, 12:17 pm

Image Image

The NPS rivers have always been on the forefront of restrictions (HP limits, glass containers before the statewide ban, limits on numbers of canoes, etc.) and you could point to somewhat legitimate safety issues with those.

I don't see how they can ban kegs, beer bongs, jello shots, or cooler sizes as they are legal items and there is no inherent safety issue with those. I think that it only takes one defendant and an ACLU lawyer to get that overturned in Federal court.

I tend to stay away from NPS rivers because they are a magnet for OOS crowds.

I don't have a problem per se with voluntary self-regulation by the rental outfitters about cooler sizes, etc. but they better realize that the crowds they depend on for money may go elsewhere if they get too restrictive. I used to go to Huzzah Valley quite a bit in my younger years and Huzzah Bob always wanted to have his cake and eat it too. He created the "Zoo" to attract the large party crowds and then tried to crack back down on it after he created the monster. I have to admit that the "Zoo" got a bit out of hand at times, but it cracked me up to hear ol' Bob complain about it when he created and advertised it that way in the first place.

BTW, I went to Huzzah Valley's website and they haven't updated the rules and policies to include the above-mentioned restrictions.
"Control Stupidity- Spay or Neuter Your Politician"

Outdoorsfool
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Outdoorsfool » May 22nd, 2007, 1:24 pm

That's what will be interesting to watch Tigerhaze...these outfitters that are crying for more regulations. I guaran-dam-tee you that even if the outfitters get back to the family float trips, they will never make as much $$ as they did when you had groups of 20-40 kids at a time coming down there to get away from supervision and party. If they cut down on the antics on the river, there'll be less $$ coming into the outfitters and then they'll be crying about their loss of revenue. It's the old "be careful what you ask for" syndrome. Image

LadyAngler
<font color="#FF0000"><b>2008 Member of the YEAR</

Post by LadyAngler » May 22nd, 2007, 5:25 pm

If some outfitters had stiffer regulations, in time, they would draw the crowd that enjoy such. People looking to party would go where there are no rules about "lights out." Or outfitters could divide their camps into family and party.

Fool~ I agree with less government and laws, but some enforcement of current laws like disturbing the peace, public drunkeness, lude conduct and such would certainly help.

BTW: Anyone who can't give or receive public head in a non-conspicuous manner needs to give it up.
Anything you can do, I can do better.

Tigerhaze
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Tigerhaze » May 22nd, 2007, 6:19 pm

LadyAngler said:
Or outfitters could divide their camps into family and party.

That's exactly what Huzzah Bob did when he created the "Zoo". I'm not sure it turned out the way he thought it would! Image Image
"Control Stupidity- Spay or Neuter Your Politician"

Outdoorsfool
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Outdoorsfool » May 23rd, 2007, 9:47 am

Quote by LA: BTW: Anyone who can't give or receive public head in a non-conspicuous manner needs to give it up.

Damnn it....that right there has got to be post of the year! Image Image