I'm So Disappointed

Hosted by our own Duck Me Runnin, resident killer and cooker of everything and anything with fur, feathers or fins. This forum is for all our crazy, drinkin and fun lovin ducker buddies.
Duck Me Runnin
2018 Member of the Year

I'm So Disappointed

Post by Duck Me Runnin » April 8th, 2008, 5:54 pm

Last Sat. evening, I was standing in the river at Mauntauk, with Elf and his son. We were the only people in sight, and it was peaceful.

Then, out of nowhere, a pair of wood ducks snuck in and landed less than 100' from me. You couldn't have painted a prettier backdrop behind the mated pair. Then it happened.........................

The famale went first. She dipped her head in a somewhat violent manner. I thought she was taking a bath. Ducks do that all the time, right ?

But noooooooooooooooooo. Her head came up with a bill full of trout skin / guts / funk that was left from other anglers cleaning their fish. The drake, obviously willing to do anything to get laid, followed suit.

I was appalled! I was aghast! I was left dumbfounded !

You rarely see a wood duck in the middle of a big lake, or in a large open marsh. They prefer the flooded timber, and the sloughs, nooks, and crannies of the waterfowl world. They are the poster children of some of the most beautiful places one can imagine.

I have some time to get over it, but it's gonna be hard to see them the same when next duck season rolls around.
Why did Kamikaze pilots wear helmets ?

Warmouth
2012 Member of the Year

Post by Warmouth » April 9th, 2008, 11:15 am

So what you're saying is that ducks were cleaning up fish offal like turtles and coons. That is interesting. I guess ducks are semi usefull after all. I had given up hope for them.
The Doctor said I should drink more whiskey. Also, I'm calling myself 'The Doctor' now.

Swamp_Fox
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Swamp_Fox » April 9th, 2008, 12:00 pm

Instead of wood ducks maybe you should call them pond possums.
Carrying a gun isn't about killing.
It's about staying alive.

Tigerhaze
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Tigerhaze » April 9th, 2008, 1:10 pm

Maybe the wood ducks are getting jealous of all the flooded corn that MDC gives the mallets at the duck parks, so they figured that MDNR owed them a handout too? :shock: :lol:
Last edited by Tigerhaze on April 9th, 2008, 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Control Stupidity- Spay or Neuter Your Politician"

Outdoorsfool
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Outdoorsfool » April 9th, 2008, 3:23 pm

So ducks are bottom feeders...no real surprise there.
Politicians are like shoemakers who make pretty shoeboxes but forget to make the shoes.

Duck Me Runnin
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Duck Me Runnin » April 9th, 2008, 6:00 pm

At least I was surprised by the ducks' actions.

I sure can't say the same for you cheesedicks. :lol:

They're oppurtunists. They've learned to exploit the fact that humans have alterred their environment.

Keep that in mind while you're eating duck kabobs at the Hoedown. Bwaaaaaaahahahahaha : Kissmylilywhiteasssmilie :
Why did Kamikaze pilots wear helmets ?

Roscoe Dog
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Roscoe Dog » April 10th, 2008, 7:46 am

A duck that tastes a little fishing.
Dont sweat the petty things and dont pet the sweaty things.

Outdoorsfool
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Outdoorsfool » April 10th, 2008, 10:36 am

DMR does bring up an interestin' point.....I've never eaten duck that has a fishy taste.....a beaver yes, but not a duck....Image
Politicians are like shoemakers who make pretty shoeboxes but forget to make the shoes.

PoisonSnake
2015 MEMBER OF THE YEAR

Post by PoisonSnake » April 17th, 2008, 12:29 pm

I've never eaten anything with a fishy taste except fish. I likey fish. I stay away from anything else that has an odor of such.
Live the American dream? Baby I am the American dream.