foam spiders

Fly Fishing and Fly Tying
JBMan
2018 Member of the Year

foam spiders

Post by JBMan » June 10th, 2004, 9:12 pm

how do you tie your foam spiders from craft foam about 2mm thick from walmart?
Ain't gonna break, ain't gonna bend, we're just carryin on!

Hellbender
2018 Member of the Year

Re: foam spiders

Post by Hellbender » June 11th, 2004, 1:43 am

Lay down a thread base, tie two set of legs on, Lay a piece of foam (cut to the right size) on and tie it on the hook by making an X over the foam and on either side of the legs. You can glue two sheets of foam together for a two-tone or buy the pieces that are made for door knob signs ( I guess thats what they're for ) and use one thickness. You can make pretty good hoppers this way. Make eyes and wings, if you want, with felt pens.
"Carlye said, A lie cannot live; it shows he did not know how to tell them." Mark Twain

JBMan
2018 Member of the Year

Post by JBMan » June 13th, 2004, 7:44 pm

how do you tie in the rubber legs?! i cant figure it out. someone please help

Hellbender
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Hellbender » June 15th, 2004, 3:59 pm

Lay across the hook, over the thread base and do a figure 8 with the thread. You can also pull them through the foam with a large needle. Put a little glue on at the end of the pull. I think the thread produces a stronger fly however. Don't try to make the legs the right length, just cut them to the right length after they're tied in.
"Carlye said, A lie cannot live; it shows he did not know how to tell them." Mark Twain

GoGop
2018 Member of the Year

Post by GoGop » June 15th, 2004, 4:14 pm

"Eight legged FREAKS!!!!!!!!!!!!" Image Image Image Image
.. he likes to shoot a man in the throat just to see his head wobble before he hits the ground

JBMan
2018 Member of the Year

Post by JBMan » June 16th, 2004, 12:49 pm

i figured out a way to tie on them legs... what i do is i take a strand of replacement spinnerbait skirt rubber, and double it up, then i place it on the side of the foam spider. and give it about 3 tight wraps. then i repeat on the other side. after that, i think they call it whip finish when they tie the knots. then after that, i cement the knots, once dry i cut the loops to form the front legs.

coyotewhacker
2018 Member of the Year

Post by coyotewhacker » June 20th, 2004, 11:10 pm

I tied up a bunch last summer for blue gills on the fly rod, but you can buy the pre-cut bodies so cheap on ebay that cutting your own seems like a lot of extra work. Of course, you can make exactly the size you want that way, but the 'gills didn't seem to mind. If you have trouble with the spider or ant body wanting to spin on the hook shank, but put a drop of super glue when you tie on the foam. That worked well for me.
We're on a mission from God.
Jake & Elwood Blue

JBMan
2018 Member of the Year

Post by JBMan » June 26th, 2004, 12:59 am

i've noticed that, i just put up with it, doesn't seem to bother me too bad. my homebrews seem to be workin pretty good. i think that i done thinned a local pond enough to let the survivors grow. Image

BornBad
2018 Member of the Year

Post by BornBad » October 26th, 2005, 4:42 pm

I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature’s ways of fang and claw or exposure and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow. – Fred Bear