when should I start

Train yo dawg
DH_72
2018 Member of the Year

when should I start

Post by DH_72 » January 7th, 2005, 4:33 pm

I have a 8 week old Lab and was wondering when to start training him for duck hunting. I'm sure most of it will come pretty natural for him. When and how should I start him to do blind retrieves, straight lines to the ducks, soft bites, etc....
The jabroni beatin' pie eatin' donkey kickin' titty lickin' toughest son of a femaledog

Marshdog
2018 Member of the Year

Re: when should I start

Post by Marshdog » January 12th, 2005, 3:04 pm

Not so much training at 8 weeks as it is introduction. Pack that pup everywhere, let every kid, women and person play with it, rub it and love on it. Then make sure they explore every opportunity they can get.

Training I'd start with sit soon, no pressure just a hunk of cheese and some fun. Remember to keep it short. You can even get the pup used to a lead, but remember everything should be fun and no pressure.

By 14 weeks I'd have a pinch collar with the pups name on it, and start with the sit, heel exercises that are explained in about every training book.

If you want to let the pup retrieve right now remember that you can easily burn the drive out of a pup if you throw them more than a few marks at a time. And don't expect them to do it perfect.
Master Gutter

DH_72
2018 Member of the Year

Post by DH_72 » January 12th, 2005, 3:55 pm

He already knows how to sit, that didn't take much to teach him. He also is used to having a leash on him, didn't like it at first but doesn't seem to mind it at all anymore. We'll play fetch for short periods of time, never burn him out on it. Looks like he's gonna be a pretty good dog.
The jabroni beatin' pie eatin' donkey kickin' titty lickin' toughest son of a femaledog

bullitt
2018 Member of the Year

Post by bullitt » January 14th, 2005, 2:04 pm

I agree w/marshdog. Take that pup everywhere. In the truck, in the boat, tromp him through the brush when ya can. Get the yard obedience down this winter, then start on teh retriever stuff in the spring.
Just remember, what he doesn't tear up or dig up, he'll pizz on! Mine hates doormats for some reason.
Rehab is for quitters.