Rigging 101

Catch-all for all other types of fishing...
BornBad
2018 Member of the Year

Rigging 101

Post by BornBad » April 7th, 2005, 10:33 am

Texas Rigging Use brass sinker and glass bead for increased sound and visual. Bedding bass respond aggresively to this. Flip and Pitch this rig in heavier cover to land it in front of bass.
I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature’s ways of fang and claw or exposure and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow. – Fred Bear

BornBad
2018 Member of the Year

Re: Rigging 101

Post by BornBad » April 7th, 2005, 10:34 am

Split Shot Rigging: Draws strikes from neutral or negative Bass. Like Carolina Rigging, giving plastics an enticing gliding horizontal fall
I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature’s ways of fang and claw or exposure and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow. – Fred Bear

BornBad
2018 Member of the Year

Post by BornBad » April 7th, 2005, 10:35 am

Carolina Rigging:Sometimes triggers bass a Texas rig wont. Use shorter leader in fall/winter, longer in late spring/summer. A slow retrieve pulls the lure along bottom, where it darts and glides as the sinker's pulled. It settles horizontally when the rig is paused. This action differs from the nose-first dive of a Texas rig or jigworm.

BornBad
2018 Member of the Year

Post by BornBad » April 7th, 2005, 10:36 am

Wacky Rigging:This rig has been winning tournaments for over 20 years. To bass, the look is appealing. Two ends of worm alternately flex. Fish weightless around timber, boat docks, or shallow cover. Can be skipped with ease under overhead cover on spinning tackle. Nail in head makes it stand vertical during cold conditions.

BornBad
2018 Member of the Year

Post by BornBad » April 7th, 2005, 10:37 am

Fish Finder Rigging:Allows fish to take line without feeling resistance of sinker. Cork ball keeps bait off bottom

BornBad
2018 Member of the Year

Post by BornBad » April 7th, 2005, 10:38 am

Triangle Trolling Rig: Uses dipsey sinker on weak line to get depth and allow easy break off if sinker snags.

BornBad
2018 Member of the Year

Post by BornBad » April 7th, 2005, 10:40 am

Combo Rigging:Offers fish a choice of two lures - a surface plug trailed by a small spoon.

BornBad
2018 Member of the Year

Post by BornBad » April 7th, 2005, 12:16 pm

? For fishing heavy cover and rough conditions like rocks, pick a monofilament designed for it, usually designated tough, extreme or extra strength. Also try braids and fusion line.

? For fishing clear water, choose a thin, clear line. Fluorocarbon lines disappear underwater. Others are usually called extra limp, extra thin and other names that designate it as small diameter.

? For fishing vegetation like lily pads, moss and grass, try a thin, tough line. It can be a braid or a fused line. Names like Fireline, Spiderwire and Power Pro are all good.

? For setting a line class record, use a line that will break at the designated test. Most lines break well above the stated test and will be considered for the record at the test they break, not what is stated. There are few lines on the market that will break at the stated test, usually under names like record line or something similar.

? For spinning and spin cast reels, choose a thin, limp line for better casting. It can be mono, fusion or braid.

? Baitcasting reels handle most any kind of line, but stiffer line works well on them, much better than on a spinning reel.