Grayfox Down..Aug.26

Information about hunting predators in Missouri
Swampbird
2018 Member of the Year

Grayfox Down..Aug.26

Post by Swampbird » August 26th, 2005, 3:28 pm

The Foxpro has been reprogrammed with a wider variety of prey sounds and I decided to setup and call while on the way to a Waffle House for lunch.
This trail runs across a pond dam with the floodplain to the left. Set caller up on a stump for better sound dispersal and turned the Aggressive Jackrabbit on at very low volumn.
After about 2 mins, I turned the volumn up some and the crows started to sounding off and broadcasting to the world that something had their attention. Any predator within hearing would keyin on this racket. A gray suddenly appeared around the curve in the bottom and I began to lower the volumn. The fox stopped to survey the scene and I switched to Gray-Pup Distress at very low volumn. The fox started to close and I switched back to the jackrabbit and he came a little faster.
At about 30yds, I hit the squeaker twice and he stopped and turned sideways with his head up to my right.
The Ruger .22Mag spat a CCI Maxi-Mag 40gr. JHP and the pow/whop dropped the fox. Young male with a nice summer coat.

The UnderArmour Heat-Gear in Loose-Wear I'm wearing during these hot weather hunts is really making a difference.
...I'd like to go to heaven, but I've gotten use to hanging with this crowd...

2BHNTN
2018 Member of the Year

Re: Grayfox Down..Aug.26

Post by 2BHNTN » August 26th, 2005, 4:56 pm

I love these pics. Nice looking fox. Do you get them tanned and keep around ? or do it yourself ?
"I'm your huckleberry" - Doc Holiday

Swampbird
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Swampbird » August 26th, 2005, 5:07 pm

Usually leave them for the buzzards, but I may tan sone if I can get some frontal shots without quarter sized exit wounds.

2BHNTN
2018 Member of the Year

Post by 2BHNTN » August 26th, 2005, 5:13 pm

I have tanned a few using alum and salt brine mixtures. Nail em out on a board and do some scraping. Then work them over a 2x4 to loosen them up. Well worth the effort in my opinion and look cool hanging around the lodge. Image
"I'm your huckleberry" - Doc Holiday

Warmouth
2012 Member of the Year

Post by Warmouth » August 26th, 2005, 5:35 pm

Great job Swamp. Glad you posted the pics up.

I had a sickly looking red fox in the yard Wed. afternoon. He had a definite limp, injury in his back leg. He looked thin and poor. Who knows what happened to him, but I'd bet he caught some bird shot in the azs.
The Doctor said I should drink more whiskey. Also, I'm calling myself 'The Doctor' now.

counts
2018 Member of the Year

Post by counts » August 26th, 2005, 5:52 pm

I say we make this man the Moderator of this forum.
Jim?

Hellbender
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Hellbender » August 27th, 2005, 5:34 pm

Don't know exactly why, but I generally pass on the fox. I just have an addiction to the song dogs, which by the way have cut the fox population way down here. I don't know if you have the dog population in South Carolina that we do here, or farther West.
"Carlye said, A lie cannot live; it shows he did not know how to tell them." Mark Twain

DuckDr.
2018 Member of the Year

Post by DuckDr. » August 30th, 2005, 10:41 pm

All these pictures of coyotes and foxes gets me wired up. I have a few live pictures of some yotes just before death. I know the website URL addy will come up next to the picture. Any help on this is greatly appreciated.

and another

And another

Last one thats worth a darn.

HUMMMMM...................What was I think'n????

counts
2018 Member of the Year

Post by counts » August 31st, 2005, 10:07 am

That first pic. is nice. Where you in a stand, or just on higher ground?

Swampbird
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Swampbird » August 31st, 2005, 4:05 pm

Hunt101 has their Website URL as part of the image posting for more free advertisment.

Delete/Backspace everything but the Image-link part of the address [Img-----/IMG]and your pics will post all the way to the left of the thread.

Edit/Delete the exhisting URL from the post and you'll see what I mean....<u>You have Mail</u>

DuckDr.
2018 Member of the Year

Post by DuckDr. » August 31st, 2005, 4:47 pm

DuckDr.
2018 Member of the Year

Post by DuckDr. » August 31st, 2005, 4:52 pm

Cool I got'r figur'd out. Thanks Swampbird.

Counts....I was just on some higher ground in that first picture. Both the coyotes and this bobcat above were all kill'd on my G-Pa's land. It is full of predators. Last winter we killed 27 coyotes and 4 bobcats. We usually use the Johny Stewert call, but if things are at there peek we use a mouth call.

Those taken in may is when we were haven calves and they were starting to get a little to close to the cows.