Jinksed

Information about trout fishing in Missouri
BornBad
2018 Member of the Year

Re: Jinksed

Post by BornBad » April 20th, 2006, 3:46 am

I used to use 1 and 2lb string, more of a bother than it's worth anymore at a trout park. ?Difficult to tie in low light, often breaks while netting the fish (or while the fish is in the net). Not to mention the drag has to be set real light, which does not always work out so well through the lines of other anglers. 3lb was my favorite, BPS used to carry 3lb P-Line, have not seen it for a few years. Kinda my own fault for the jinks, mind has been elsewhere. A few more tests may help to ease that problem, though.

Now at places like Lane Springs/Lil Piney, light string is a must.
I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature’s ways of fang and claw or exposure and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow. – Fred Bear

Outdoorsfool
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Outdoorsfool » April 20th, 2006, 3:50 am

BB - Well get out there and get some scouting done for me. We'll be fish-floating Bennett to Ho-Humm next weekend. Image
Politicians are like shoemakers who make pretty shoeboxes but forget to make the shoes.

Warmouth
2012 Member of the Year

Post by Warmouth » April 20th, 2006, 4:02 am

2lb is a make or break type of deal for trout, at the parks, imo. At Tanney I've done fine with 4lb using jigs.

For a while I was using Trilene ultra-thin 4lb. That stuff was as thin as standard 2lb, but it tended to kink a lot. Other than that, I wish I had a few spools of it still. It was the chit for horsing in trout.

I've used 1lb a lot too, during bright July and August dog days.
The Doctor said I should drink more whiskey. Also, I'm calling myself 'The Doctor' now.

RB
Admin Team

Post by RB » April 20th, 2006, 10:48 am

Not bad WM not bad.

Tigerhaze
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Tigerhaze » April 21st, 2006, 3:20 am

I've caught plenty of trout on 6 pound line- I don't think line weight is as critical a consideration (within reason) than people think. I agree though- if you're fishing a small and nearly currentless stream it is more an issue than a fast-flowing larger stream.
"Control Stupidity- Spay or Neuter Your Politician"

Outdoorsfool
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Outdoorsfool » April 21st, 2006, 7:10 am

That's kind of what I was thinking TH. I normally use 4# when fishing the Niangua. But I've used 6# when I had to and it didn't really have adverse effects. I don't think the short bus (hatchery) trout are really affected by the larger line.
Politicians are like shoemakers who make pretty shoeboxes but forget to make the shoes.