VA Tech "massacre"

Discussion about politicks
LadyAngler
<font color="#FF0000"><b>2008 Member of the YEAR</

VA Tech "massacre"

Post by LadyAngler » April 16th, 2007, 5:08 pm

WTF? What kinda freak wants to shoot up the college?

VA shooting
Anything you can do, I can do better.

PoisonSnake
2015 MEMBER OF THE YEAR

Re: VA Tech "massacre"

Post by PoisonSnake » April 16th, 2007, 5:12 pm

I read this an hour back and couldn't believe what I was reading. LA, I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that it was a disgruntled PhD student that had failed an oral examination only to be terminated at the Master's level. Every time you hear of such, it most generally is a student that has not passed his oral comprehensive examination. It can be a very stressful exam.
Live the American dream? Baby I am the American dream.

LadyAngler

Post by LadyAngler » April 16th, 2007, 5:24 pm

The student apparently lived in a dorm. They shot up the dorm first. I'd think a post grad would not be living in the dorm.

PoisonSnake
2015 MEMBER OF THE YEAR

Post by PoisonSnake » April 16th, 2007, 5:34 pm

You know, I would think that too. But, I'm going to go out on a limb here. Sometimes, international graduate students do live in the dorms. So, maybe that was it. I'm just speculating. Also, it looked like most of the shooting was in the engineering building. So, I'm just putting bits and pieces together in my own mind. Which, BTW, is not the right thing to be doing for sure.

PoisonSnake
2015 MEMBER OF THE YEAR

Post by PoisonSnake » April 16th, 2007, 5:41 pm

I just saw a picture of a young girl so my thoughts are that you are correct LA.

Outdoorsfool
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Outdoorsfool » April 16th, 2007, 5:52 pm

What the helll happened to good old fashioned suicide? If you fork up your life or don't do as well as you think you should have, then go bite a bullet if you think that'll fix everything. Image Suicide is a permant solution to a temporary problem, but folks fail to realize that.

For the life of me, I do not get the concept of murdering innocent people over a person's own personal failures, either real or perceived.

My son and I went to see a group of young men called Adam Brassfield and Delta Force. Adam and Aaron Brassfield are in their early 20's and are 16th generation ministers. They go around the country doing strength exhibitions mixed with a religious message. In the evenings, they do free shows with a very strong religious message. During the days they attend schools and gear the message more towards prevention of drug/alchol abuse, suicide and succumbing to peer pressure. Adam isn't much bigger than 2B, but this dude is a forkin' rock. I think they said he was like 5'8" and 250# or so...he can bench 500 lbs. and leg press around 2000lbs. Dudes hail from Blytheville, AR and Adam's brother is supposedly up and coming in ranks of professional deer hunter (bow, I believe). The other cofounder (Hayden) is about 6'5" and goes well over 300lbs.....dude bends 1" + steel rods like it's a coat hanger. The fourth member is a dude from North Alabama that grew up surrounded by drug addicts and alchoholics.

If any of you ever get a chance to see their show, DO IT! ...and take the kiddos!

Here's the 2 founding members: (sorry for the photo size...don't have the time or interest to attempt to resize before posting.)
Politicians are like shoemakers who make pretty shoeboxes but forget to make the shoes.

Warmouth
2012 Member of the Year

Post by Warmouth » April 16th, 2007, 8:47 pm

Suposedly it was girl trouble, and the Asian shooter went on a rampage. First he shot 2 at the dorm, then 2 hours later he shot the rest. 42 shot, 31 dead. Those numbers are astounding.

He was armed with an asault rifle and two 9mm pistols. What was disheartening to me was that they wouldn't release any info about the shooter, which seems to me to mean a cover-up on some level. But, it could just be that the event was so overwhelming, that the police and school personel didn't have a lot to go on, or the wherewithal to know where to start.

Also, the shooter didn't have an ID on him, and ended it by shooting himself in the face, making identifying him difficult.
The Doctor said I should drink more whiskey. Also, I'm calling myself 'The Doctor' now.

LadyAngler

Post by LadyAngler » April 16th, 2007, 8:53 pm

Shot to the face.... awesome!

GoGop
2018 Member of the Year

Post by GoGop » April 16th, 2007, 9:02 pm

What's disheartening to me is that our citizens are disarmed in schools in churches. We should all be allowed to shoot back. This lowlife either wouldn't have done it, or would have been killed before he got that far.
Nobody should have to sit and wait for their turn to get shot.
.. he likes to shoot a man in the throat just to see his head wobble before he hits the ground

BornBad
2018 Member of the Year

Post by BornBad » April 16th, 2007, 10:35 pm

'[censored] believable.
I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature’s ways of fang and claw or exposure and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow. – Fred Bear

BornBad
2018 Member of the Year

Post by BornBad » April 16th, 2007, 10:37 pm

unforking.. censorship Image
I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature’s ways of fang and claw or exposure and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow. – Fred Bear

LadyAngler

Post by LadyAngler » April 17th, 2007, 12:05 am

I like the new avatar. Image

hunting170
2018 Member of the Year

Post by hunting170 » April 17th, 2007, 3:04 am

GoGop said:
What's disheartening to me is that our citizens are disarmed in schools in churches. We should all be allowed to shoot back. This lowlife either wouldn't have done it, or would have been killed before he got that far.
Nobody should have to sit and wait for their turn to get shot.

Those were almost my exact words when I heard of this, GG.

Remember the guy that shot several people in a mall awhile back? He was stopped by an off-duty policeman, or the death toll in that place could have been much, much higher. IMO, legally armed citizens would be a deterrent for alot of this cowardly bullchit.
One day, long, long ago, there lived a woman who did not whine, nag, or bitch.
But it was a long time ago, and it was just that one day.

Big John
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Big John » April 17th, 2007, 9:44 am

LA back in 1992 I was in college and 4 guys and myself from the Vets Club sat down once and figured what we would need to take and hold the campus. The five of us could have taken half the students under our control and held them for as long as we wanted. You would be surprised just how defenseless a college campus really is, campus security is a joke.

I wrote a paper on the subject and one of the lines in the paper read " it is funny that we put 8ft fences around the best trained and equipped people on the planet(our military bases), yet our children are left defenseless against an attack". This was a single person with a mission, imagine what a group of terrorists with the same mission!!

GoGop there is talk (locally) about teachers being trained to use handguns and, having access to lock boxes when an emergency like this calls for it. Combined with emergency locking doors (rooms and corridors) and mylar windows should make things better. Keeping these idiots out is the best policy but once the building has been entered containment is the next step to saving lives.

Outdoorsfool
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Outdoorsfool » April 17th, 2007, 10:34 am

BJ - There has been some rumblings about allowing teachers to be armed around here too, but what about the bigger picture. I'm with GoGOP, what the helll ever happened to right to bear arms and self defense/protection. Gun control idiots will use this as an example as to why guns should be restricted intstead of looking at it that there may have been fewer people killed if restrictions weren't so heavy on firearms.
Politicians are like shoemakers who make pretty shoeboxes but forget to make the shoes.