Bowhunting rabbits

Information about hunting small game in Missouri
Warmouth
2012 Member of the Year

Re: Bowhunting rabbits

Post by Warmouth » August 13th, 2009, 10:21 am

I use to shoot at everything I could with my first bow. Rabbits squirrels birds, everything.

Go at them like you would with a .22. Spot and stalk with bino's and a rangefinder.

You can get surprisingly close to bunnies by not walking right at them. Don't look directly at the bunny, but walk parrallel to it, closing the distance gap as you walk around it. Bunnies are not very smart, and usually don't pick up on this move until it is too late. Draw your bow and look in a different direction than the bunny, and then swing the sites over to the bunny last second. They will sit in one spot a long time if they think you don't see them and that you will just pass by without noticing where they are. If you starting going right at them, they get nervous and make their own move which won't favor you.

You have to spot them first, the rest isn't a big deal, especially if you have 35-40+yd range.

Let me know if that doesn't make any sense.
The Doctor said I should drink more whiskey. Also, I'm calling myself 'The Doctor' now.

Rafe Hollister
Former MOTY

Post by Rafe Hollister » August 13th, 2009, 10:39 am

I recommend target shooting in a yard in the suburbs. Shoot them when they come into the yard. There's really not much more to it than that.
"I'll tell you one thing about women, they don't give a damn about things on the side of the road."
- Tim Wilson

Warmouth
2012 Member of the Year

Post by Warmouth » August 13th, 2009, 10:46 am

He could just man up and go stompin' the brush for them, and shoot them on the run.
The Doctor said I should drink more whiskey. Also, I'm calling myself 'The Doctor' now.

Roscoe Dog
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Roscoe Dog » August 13th, 2009, 11:24 am

Learn to bark like a Beagle.
Dont sweat the petty things and dont pet the sweaty things.

Warmouth
2012 Member of the Year

Post by Warmouth » August 13th, 2009, 12:24 pm

It's a big year for rabbits, if you haven't heard Craig. Big year.

Rafe Hollister
Former MOTY

Post by Rafe Hollister » August 13th, 2009, 4:01 pm

MOCraig wrote:
Rafe Hollister wrote:I recommend target shooting in a yard in the suburbs. Shoot them when they come into the yard. There's really not much more to it than that.
No way, man, wouldn't be ethical. :no:
Only if it's out of season. thumb2:
"I'll tell you one thing about women, they don't give a damn about things on the side of the road."
- Tim Wilson

Tigerhaze
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Tigerhaze » September 2nd, 2009, 12:56 pm

There are a number of different kinds of tips for shooting small game- the rubber blunts, the "stumpjumpers", etc. I personally use star-shaped discs that attach just beneath a conventional field point. They blow a large hole in the bunnies and allow the arrow to be retained. I am not much on blunts or stumpjumpers that don't penetrate, althoguh the stumpjumpers are easier to find if you miss since they "grab" on the grass.
"Control Stupidity- Spay or Neuter Your Politician"