Finally!!!

Time to be talkin' turkey.
Limbshot
2016 MEMBER OF THE YEAR

Finally!!!

Post by Limbshot » April 28th, 2011, 1:39 pm

Well finally, after watching my Dad and buddy knock down a couple of good ones, I got my turn. Needless to say, the weather has made things difficult. Went out both days last weekend with little action. Decided to take advantage of the first nice morning we have had in awhile and went to a small piece of property I was invite to hunt across the river. Got there and had a bird firing immediately, got set up, but he had hens with him, and when they flew down, they all went away onto the nighbor's place. Waited things out for a while and decided to move up the ridge they went up about an hour and a half later. Found an old road bed that ran across the top of the ridge and followed that to the property line where it intersected another old road bed that ran down to the far end of the field I started on. I worked my way half way down that road and called and got cut off by a bird about 100 yards away in a field on the neighbor's. Got set up and called again, he gobbled again. I shut up, he gobbled abuot 10 more times in the same spot. I called aggressively and then shut up and waited. Couple minutes later, he gobbled, but was closer and sounded like he was working the road that I had just left. I figured he would work that road to the one I was on and then come down that road towards me. I stayed quiet. Then he gobbled again, closer to my road, then he gobbled again and he was straight up the hill from me. I called lightly and he gobbled, and I shut up and waited. Finally I saw a big blue head walking down the road, then a beard dragging the ground. He cleared a bush at 25 yards and gobbled right in my face. I settled the beads on him, called softly and he picked his head up into the "shoot me pose," and I let him have it. All said and done, he was 21 pounds, 10.5 inch beard and 1 inch spurs. Not a bad morning at all. Definitely one of those hunts that I'll try to think of on the days when things aren't going right!!!
Attachments
201[1]b.JPG
201[1]b.JPG (112.28 KiB) Viewed 1338 times
196[1]b.JPG
196[1]b.JPG (104.4 KiB) Viewed 1338 times
Proud staffer for Bust-a-Buck scent products and U-Slide Bow Holder.
http://www.bustabuckdeerlure.com/
http://u-slide.com/

Rafe Hollister
Former MOTY

Re: Finally!!!

Post by Rafe Hollister » April 28th, 2011, 2:01 pm

Good job and great pictures. I'm surprised you were able to get your wheelchair over all those rocks.
"I'll tell you one thing about women, they don't give a damn about things on the side of the road."
- Tim Wilson

Limbshot
2016 MEMBER OF THE YEAR

Post by Limbshot » April 28th, 2011, 2:03 pm

:rotflmao: I would venture to say that my hips are better than yours...now! Thanks for the compliment on the pics though. It was a little challenging as I was by myself, but I pulled it off!
Proud staffer for Bust-a-Buck scent products and U-Slide Bow Holder.
http://www.bustabuckdeerlure.com/
http://u-slide.com/

RB
Admin Team

Post by RB » April 28th, 2011, 2:23 pm

Russ, good pic but even better story of the hunt. only comment I would say is good thing you were wearing a headnet.

lonepine
2018 Member of the Year

Post by lonepine » April 29th, 2011, 8:27 am

great story and good looking bird, congrat..LP
BATV-the old man

Warmouth
2012 Member of the Year

Post by Warmouth » April 29th, 2011, 10:12 am

Congrats on the hunt. I went yesterday, but the turkeys were nowhere to be found. I never heard or saw a turkey, not even a hen. It was really odd, because Sunday morning they were hammering on the back hill.

I just went and shot my rifle instead.
The Doctor said I should drink more whiskey. Also, I'm calling myself 'The Doctor' now.

PoisonSnake
2015 MEMBER OF THE YEAR

Post by PoisonSnake » May 2nd, 2011, 1:13 pm

Very nice.
Live the American dream? Baby I am the American dream.