Buck antler growth in one year

Information about bow hunting in Missouri with our resident experts SAMCRO and Hunting 170.
SAMCRO
2018 Member of the Year

Buck antler growth in one year

Post by SAMCRO » October 11th, 2012, 9:07 am

We had a thread on AR not too long ago, discussing how it didn't tell the whole story. Thought this was interesting as it shows how letting a buck walk just one year can make a big difference.

This is a buck I have running around - this first picture is how he looked last year. He is, I believe, 2.5 in this photo, and obviously he's not much to look at:
buck_a.jpg
buck_a.jpg (51.1 KiB) Viewed 14114 times

This is what he looks like this year. This is him obviously still in velvet. I have some "hard horned" pictures, but they're still on the card. Actually saw him from stand on Monday. Now, he's still not exactly huge, but he has put on a large amount of inches in just one year. I know this is the same buck - if you have any doubts you can see his left G3 is split very slightly last year, and this year it's completely split with two tines the same length.

I imagine if left to grow another year, and assuming he makes the same big jump, he could be a stud at just 4.5:
buckb.jpg
buckb.jpg (68.74 KiB) Viewed 14114 times
All you thugs and ugly mugs dealing drugs and making noise,
You can kill each other all you want but if you touch my little boys,
You begging for this bullet will be the last thing that you say
before I let my dark side come out to play