Busch Wildlife Hunt

Information about bow hunting in Missouri with our resident experts SAMCRO and Hunting 170.
Limbshot
2016 MEMBER OF THE YEAR

Busch Wildlife Hunt

Post by Limbshot » October 15th, 2013, 10:06 am

Well we had a blast at Busch Wildlife this weekend. Hunted Saturday and Sunday evening as well as Sunday and Monday morning. My scouting two weeks before paid off as we saw quite a few deer. Saturday evening I hunted a nice pinch point between two fields that was just destroyed by deer. I have literally never seen anything like the sign in there. White oaks dropping acorns and it was getting pummeled. Saw a spike after an hour, saw a real big doe about an hour after than, but couldn't get a shot. Then had a doe with 2 fawns feeding straight west of me they headed north of me and met up with another group of three about 80 yards in front of me and they all started browsing my way as daylight was slipping away. I was really eager to see what the new bow, new arrows, new broadheads, and lighted nocks would do, but was getting concerned I was going to run out of time. Then for no reason at all, two of the fawns busted out of the group and ran by me on a dead sprint. The other four all started walking single file in line behind them, the first of which was a decent sized doe. She closed the distance and I drew back the Motive and anchored, finally, at a distance of 8 yards, she stepped clear of the brush and I softly bleated and she stopped, settled the pin, eased back on the trigger and the arrow found its mark and zipped through her without even slowing down. She jumped up with a high rear leg kick, spun around and bolted across the little draw. All the other deer were running around like crazy not knowing what happened, and in the midst of all that I thought I heard her crash. I waited for the other deer to vacate the area and got down. Got my stuff on my back, went over to my arrow and it was covered in blood and was buried about 5 inches in the ground. Found good blood immediately and left the area to take my stuff to the truck and get my buddy. Got to the truck at about 7:40 and we thought the gate closed at 9:00. Since it was supposed to drop to the low 40's we decided to leave her over night as we were afraid we couldn't get out of there in time. Went back out the next morning and hunted for a few hours and could have ended my hunt with another doe, but decided to hold off. Got down out of my stand and got all my stuff together, put my stand and pack on my back, turned around and looked across the draw and saw her laying there. Unfortunately, the dang coyotes had gotten to her and tore up her back hams pretty good, but everything else was still in great shape. So I still have a tag left, will be heading back this weekend hoping to find something with antlers, if not this weekend, I'll be hoping for a cold front next week so I can head out one last time fro a couple days. I am very impressed with the performance of my current archery set up! The Razortrick tipped ACC Pro Hunter zipped through her and really did a number on her. Great arrow flight, and took out both lungs. That Motive really flings the arrows!!! OH, and my buddy also killed a doe Sunday evening with his Bear Anarchy. So the Bears were tough on the Busch deer this weekend.
Stand Pic.JPG
Stand Pic.JPG (188.56 KiB) Viewed 1461 times
Attachments
Busch doe-2b.JPG
Busch doe-2b.JPG (208.19 KiB) Viewed 1460 times
Busch Doe-1b.JPG
Busch Doe-1b.JPG (216.39 KiB) Viewed 1461 times
Last edited by Limbshot on October 15th, 2013, 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proud staffer for Bust-a-Buck scent products and U-Slide Bow Holder.
http://www.bustabuckdeerlure.com/
http://u-slide.com/

RB
Admin Team

Re: Busch Wildlife Hunt

Post by RB » October 15th, 2013, 10:13 am

Congrats. That place is loaded with deer.

Limbshot
2016 MEMBER OF THE YEAR

Post by Limbshot » October 15th, 2013, 10:23 am

Yeah, there is no doubt about that. Found some areas that are loaded with buck sign after our morning hunt yesterday, hoping to settle back in there that last week and maybe something decent will show up. Only time will tell. Glad I applied for the hunt though. Been a blast already. That group of 6 was within 100 yards of me for over an hour and a half. Just cool watching them when they are calm like that.
Proud staffer for Bust-a-Buck scent products and U-Slide Bow Holder.
http://www.bustabuckdeerlure.com/
http://u-slide.com/

PoisonSnake
2015 MEMBER OF THE YEAR

Post by PoisonSnake » October 15th, 2013, 2:53 pm

Good deal.
Live the American dream? Baby I am the American dream.

lonepine
2018 Member of the Year

Post by lonepine » October 16th, 2013, 8:25 am

congrats
BATV-the old man