Exciting Hunt

Information about bow hunting in Missouri with our resident experts SAMCRO and Hunting 170.
JimDog
2014 Member of the Year

Exciting Hunt

Post by JimDog » November 7th, 2014, 9:22 am

So I decided to take off work early yesterday and hit the woods for a bit. Been a pretty crazy week, and just wanted to get out of the office for a bit. I decided to hunt a city property that I have never hunted before on a whim. I didn't have any stands out, and I didn't leave the office until 2:30, so I though I would check out this spot. It's only about a mile from my house, and I had always wanted to check it out, so I though I'd just go out and walk around a bit to relieve some stress.

I stopped by the house, took a quick shower, dressed up and headed out. I got there a bit after 3:00 and walked out to the back side of the property where there was a creek. As I approached the wood line bordering the creek, I jumped a bedded doe. That was encouraging - at least I knew there were deer in the area. I slowly walked the creek, It was pretty windy so most of the noise of my walking was concealed by the wind. Lots of tracks, a few rubs, some scrapes - definitely deer working the area.

Right before I reached the far corner of the property (about 30 acres) I saw a ladder stand. It appeared to have been there for a while. The metal mesh on the seat and standing area had leaves that had begun to disintegrate through the mesh, so it was clear to me that the stand had not been used in a long time. I decided to climb it and sit for a bit. By this time is is about 3:45.

After about a half hour, I hear something behind me. I turn around to see two dogs and a high-school aged girl walking toward me. Great. One of the down sides to hunting public urban property. She walked to within about 20 yards of the stand and I said "Hi". She about shit in her pants. She looked up at me, smiled, then proceed to mill around the area for about fifteen more minutes with her dogs. The walked down to the creek, then followed the creek out of site. I sat a bit longer thinking she may kick something up, but after a few minutes I decided to get down and scout the area a bit more as I figured this spot was ruined for the evening.

On the other side of the creek there was a field. The field was also city property, but not part of the hunting area. I decided to see what it looked like so I crossed the creek and walked up the hill toward the field. As I approached, I saw a single doe grazing about 150 yards away. I situated myself behind a tree in the hopes that maybe she would graze my direction, and perhaps come down to the creek and I could get a shot. The sun was setting, so I figured I had about 30 minutes. She was grazing in one spot, so I thought I'd see if I could coax her my way. I grunted a few times, but she was too far - didn't even look up. So I broke out the rattling antlers and rattled a bit. She still couldn't hear me. So I rattled as hard as I possibly could. She looked in my direction and after about a minute started casually walking in my direction.

About the time she started walking toward me, I hear something off to the left and looked over to catch a glimpse of antlers moving though the brush - maybe 30 yards away. The brush there was super thick, and I only caught the very brief glimpse of antler, but I knew there was a buck nearby. I could hear him walking but could not see him. Then he blew at me. I knew I was busted. I still couldn't see him, but he was still really close. He blew a couple more times. I figured I had nothing to loose, so I grunted a couple of times and he running out behind me.

So here I am kneeling on the ground facing the field. The doe is now about 50 yards out in front of me in the field, and this buck is 20 yards behind me staring straight at me. Without repositioning myself, I swiveled at the hips, drew back and fired. I could not believe he did not move while I swiveled, drew and shot.

He was quartering toward me, and my arrow passed through the front shoulder. He bolted back toward the creek, ran about 50 yards, turned around and started running back toward where I shot him, where he crashed to the ground, let out a loud noise that I can best describe as a cross between a deer grunt and a cow moo, and his head fell to the ground.

I just stayed there kneeling not believing how quickly this all went down. I waited a couple of minutes and there was no motion from the deer, so I walked over to him and he was dead as a doorknob. I called my boys to come help me drag him out. They got there right as I was finishing up dressing him out, and helped me drag him out of the woods. Was home in time for supper! Truly a memorable hunt.

Not a monster, but for me, a respectable bow kill. Only the second time this year I have had a chance to bow hunt. 9 pointer that I would estimate between 120 - 130.
jimdog-buck.jpg
jimdog-buck.jpg (315.54 KiB) Viewed 4606 times
A clear conscience is the sign of a bad memory.

Limbshot
2016 MEMBER OF THE YEAR

Re: Exciting Hunt

Post by Limbshot » November 7th, 2014, 10:16 am

Holy crap. That is freaking awesome JD!!! Fantastic deer, especially for public land. Great story as well. I am hoping to match your efforts this weekend! Heading down to the farm tonight and our deer are blowing up. Had a good pick midday Wednesday and Mom saw a nice one chasing a doe at about 9:00 this morning on the neighbor's place heading right at our farm. Congrats on a great deer buddy!!! Well done and great shot!
Proud staffer for Bust-a-Buck scent products and U-Slide Bow Holder.
http://www.bustabuckdeerlure.com/
http://u-slide.com/

RB
Admin Team

Post by RB » November 8th, 2014, 2:51 pm

JD, great deer and even better story. You described that hunt so well I could picture the whole thing unfold as I read the story. congrats.

PoisonSnake
2015 MEMBER OF THE YEAR

Post by PoisonSnake » November 11th, 2014, 9:47 am

Congrats!
Live the American dream? Baby I am the American dream.

hunting170
2018 Member of the Year

Post by hunting170 » November 16th, 2014, 10:07 pm

What a great hunt JimDog. Congratulations.
One day, long, long ago, there lived a woman who did not whine, nag, or bitch.
But it was a long time ago, and it was just that one day.

hunting170
2018 Member of the Year

Post by hunting170 » November 16th, 2014, 10:07 pm

What a great hunt JimDog. Congratulations.
One day, long, long ago, there lived a woman who did not whine, nag, or bitch.
But it was a long time ago, and it was just that one day.